September 9th will mark almost two decades since the first FASD Awareness Day. Communities and organizations around the world are planning events and media campaigns to raise awareness. But what does “FASD awareness” actually mean? The answer is that FASD awareness is multi-layered.
It means AWARENESS that Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder is a disability caused by prenatal alcohol exposure and has a range of effects that are lifelong and varied.
- Health Canada “Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder”
- Canada FASD Research NetworkFASD Fact Sheet
It means AWARENESS that for women, alcohol consumption has particular risks.
- “A teratogen is not a dinosaur”– Saskatchewan Prevention Institute
- Alcohol and Women – Éduc’alcool
- Cancer and Alcohol – Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction
It means AWARENESS that there is no known safe amount of alcohol consumption or safe time to drink during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Without knowing how much or how little…
View original post 420 more words